Welcome to the Official Monash University Kendo Club (MUKC) website! Our club is based at Monash University Clayton Campus, Victoria, Australia. You will find lots of information here such as who we are, where we train, and how to contact us! Subscribe to the news (on the right) to receive emails whenever new news is posted.
What is Kendo?
Kendo literally translates to “way of the sword”. It is a martial art originating from Japan. Officially, the primary principles of Kendo are –
- To mold the mind and body.
To cultivate a vigorous spirit,
And through correct and rigid training,
To strive for improvement in the art of Kendo.
To hold in esteem human courtesy and honor.
To associate with others with sincerity.
And to forever pursue the cultivation of oneself.
Who are we?
- At MUKC, we are serious about our Kendo. However we are also a social club! Join up and make new friends! We have many events throughout the year including dinners, movie nights, BBQs, etc.
- Our members come from all walks of life: Primary School, High School, Undergraduate, Post-Grad and those in the workforce.
- We are affiliated with the Victorian Kendo Renmei (VKR) and the Australian Kendo Renmei (AKR)
- We are a student-run and student-organised Monash University Sports Club.
- Yoichi Yano (7th Dan)
- Noriko Matsumoto (5th Dan)
- Kaori Miki (5th Dan)
- Kazuya Kimura (4th Dan)
- Cyntheia Lim (3rd Dan)
- Occasional and Honorary Instructors:
- Stelios (Stilts) Polichroniadis
- Arpad Maksay
- Khay-Lin Teoh
- Kate Sylvester
- Yoichi Miyamoto
- Hiroshi Shinoda
- Club Committee members 2019:
- President – Toney Evans
- Vice-President – Emily Coady
- Secretary – Dalton Reuss
- Treasurer – Aaron Patterson
- General Representative – Hoey Yein Goh
- Previous years’ club committee members
- Website Support
- Mony Sak (email@example.com)
- There are many competitions held throughout the year that MUKC participates in:
- Australian University Games (AUG)
- Otsuka Memorial Taikai
- Mumeishi 3s Championships
- Victorian Kendo Championships (VKC)
- Friends of MUKC. We meet them all regularly during competitions and events!